Parents and YP
Everything you need to know to get ready and excited for Contagious Nano Scotland this summer.
Scroll down to find out important information, including arrival details, packing list and what to expect on the first day.
Contagious Nano Scotland runs from Saturday 21st July to Friday 27th July 2018
When do we arrive?
Please aim to arrive after 3.00pm on SATURDAY 21st July. Can we please stress that it is important NOT to arrive earlier than this as rooms will not be available and leaders will not be able to supervise young people before this time.
- By Car, there are many parking spaces in the school grounds for those coming by car. Once at the venue our team will direct you to Registration and where to find your group.
- By Train, If you are travelling by train, we are arranging a ‘shuttle service’ from Perth station departing at 3pm (only for those who have pre-booked), so please make sure your train is due to arrive at Perth before 3pm. Someone from Contagious, with an appropriate notice for identity purposes, will be at the station. If any queries concerning the shuttle from and to Perth, please contact Mark Hughes, Contagious Scotland
We will register you at the Nano Boarding House, (Riley), and introduce you to your team. We will have a few games, refreshments and we will show you around the dormitory where we are staying. You will quickly meet other young people and will make some good lasting friendships.
The young people will sleep in small comfortable dormitories with bathroom/shower facilities nearby. We will locate young people in their small group (SUS group) in rooms together; their leader will be in a room nearby. We will do our best to meet your sharing requests, but this is not always possible. All bedding is provided but please bring a towel.
The boarding house has a big common room, good for meeting friends, playing games and hanging out. Leaders will always be nearby to chat and facilitate the fun and games.
We are sharing the site with Contagious Scotland for young people aged 14-19 years. They will be accommodated in a separate blocks and have their own programme and leadership team. We are looking forward to joining together in some activities as part of the Contagious family.
The food is good at Strathallan School, prepared by the professional catering staff who provide a wide variety of tasty meals to choose from and fresh fruit and salad is always available. There is breakfast, lunch and dinner and light supper available each day.
Photos and Publicity:
Medical, SEN, Dietary Information Form
When will Contagious Nano Finish?
For those who have booked it, the shuttle service will provide a return trip Perth train station. Please do not book trains before 2pm on the last day.
I’m sure we will have no issues, but we would like to remind you of the Booking Terms & Conditions that you agreed to when booking online; this will ensure that you are aware of what behaviour is expected during the week.
We will also require to abide by Strathallan’s code and information/requests. One of which is that they would like to keep their paths ‘chewing gum free’. Please help us continue to set a good example in this regard.
Strathallan operates a Keys/Swipe card facility for security reasons. Please abide by its use.
There are various areas under renovation at Strathallan, please be aware of notices and requests regarding that.
Also, be aware of ‘keep off grass’ restrictions e.g. Chapel Lawns, Cricket Pitches.
Please ensure proper footwear is used in Sports Halls – indoor-only use trainers (i.e. cannot be trainers that are used in any outdoor capacity).
Packing List and other items you might need
- Spending Money: There is a small tuck shop on site and we will also sell books in our bookstall, so you may like to bring some spending money though, this is not essential. Any money you bring will be your own responsibility to look after and manage.
- Contagious Exalt: We want to encourage young people to use their talents for God, so we will host an evening called ‘Exalt’ where young people will join together to worship Jesus with their gifts. So if your talent is music, art, drama, comedy, dance, juggling, producing videos, photography, or WHATEVER, you’ll have an opportunity throughout the week to put something together and to rehearse. If you want to bring along your instrument, or camera, or anything else you are very welcome. However, they will remain your responsibility and Contagious can take no responsibility for any loss or damage during the conference.
- Suitable Clothes: We have a full programme of activities including sports, messy games, crafts, dancing, creative projects and team challenges. Please bring a range of clothes and footwear for outdoors, indoors, muddy and wet environments or casual clothes for the evenings. We are trusting that the weather will be good for us to be outside for most of the week, but please be prepared for changeable conditions. Please also bring a white t-shirt that you don’t mind getting very dirty/stained. Please also bring a swimming cap if you want to take part in the indoor swimming pool session.
- Day Out to St Andrews: We are planning to have a day out to St Andrews during Contagious. This will take place on Tuesday.
- Ceilidh. The end of week ceilidh party is ‘fancy dress’ and the theme this year is ‘Neon’.
- Bible (New International Version) NOT electronic Bibles on phones etc.
- Notepad and pen
- Money for tuck/book shop/merchandise
- Supply of any medication needed plus any up to date information written down.
- Swimming gear (for water games) including swimming cap
- White t-shirt you do not mind getting dirty/stained
- Toiletries sun cream & hat
- Clothes suitable for all weathers!
- Exclusively indoor trainers and other outdoor footwear
- Any sports equipment, games or musical instrument (at your own risk)
- Mobile phone and charger (optional) NOTE: phones and devices will be collected in by leaders each night-time).
To place an order, go to the home page of our website www.contagious.org.uk and select BOOK NANO then click on the conference you have booked. You will see the option LEISUREWEAR FOR YOUNG PEOPLE, which will take you to the booking section of our website where, using your log in details, you will be able to place your order. If you need help placing your order, please click here for a step by step guide.
Teaching & Meetings
We teach the Bible in several ways in order to help YP with a variety of learning styles, SUS groups, discussions, question times, talks and enjoyable activities.
- SUS groups SUS (Scripture Under Scrutiny) groups are your small groups for the week that meet each morning after breakfast. This is the group of young people you will spend most time with and with who you will make new friends. If you do not know anyone, you will quickly be included in this new group of friends. You will have two or three adult leaders assigned to your SUS group who will care for you, give support and encouragement and teach you great truths from the Bible throughout your week at Contagious.
- Meetings We will have two meetings, one in the morning before SUS and one in the evening. The whole group come together and sit in SUS teams, with leaders nearby to help. The sessions are so full of great stuff including… leader challenges, testimonies, stories, great songs, memory verse songs, answers to tough questions, team games, videos, drama, and great talks. This year we are digging deep into the letter to James, the Punching Preacher!
We may work hard at understanding the Bible, but there is also plenty of time for breaks and activities. Our afternoon and evening activities divide into 3 types: “All in” and “Pick ‘n Mix” and After Dark.
- The activity programme begins after lunch with an “All in Activity”. That means we all do the activity together as Nano.
- The afternoon continues with Pick ‘n Mix which is divided into three activity choices: Sports, Craft and Chill.
- After Dark activities happen after the Big Teach in the evening.
Please join the leaders in praying for our time at Contagious this summer:
- Thank God for the many young people coming to Contagious from different backgrounds and churches.
- Thank God for Contagious and the dedicated leaders who prepare the teaching, organise the activities, and give of their time to care and support the young people.
- Please pray for young people who may be feeling anxious about coming to Contagious; pray that they would quickly find their way around, meet great leaders and make new friends.
- Please pray for young people as they listen, learn and engage with the teaching this summer; that they would grow in their love of Jesus and mature in their walk with Him.
- Please pray for the leaders that they would teach the young people well and faithfully, according to the Bible. Give them creative ideas to engage the young people and a love for the young people that comes from Jesus.
- Please pray for safety and smooth running of the conference, free from evil attack and blessed by God.
- Please pray for the ongoing work of Contagious as they plan future conferences and look for new opportunities to serve young people in our nation.
- Please subscribe to our PrayerMate feed where you will get regular prayer requests sent direct to your prayer list.
Dates for 2019:
CONTAGIOUS NANO SCOTLAND/NORTH
Sat 3rd – Fri 9th August 2019 at Barnard Castle School, Co Durham (England!!).
Yes, the time has come to move away from Strathallan and find a new home. We have found a better school that is ideal for Contagious. We will enjoy great facilities, better accommodation, excellent food and still have all the character, community and fun of Contagious Nano Scotland before.
If you have any questions about any of the Contagious ministries, please do not hesitate to contact me.