Everything you need to know to get ready and excited for Contagious MAX Scotland / North (We think it will soon become known as ‘Contagious MAX Barney‘). Scroll down for dates, important information and a packing list!
Contagious MAX Scotland / North runs from 3pm Sunday 28th July to 1pm Saturday 3rd August 2019.
Barnard Castle School
Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12 8UN
This is an exciting new venue for us which is ideally suited to Contagious as it combines good accommodation, tasty food, good teaching spaces and excellent sports facilities. We know this will be a home for Contagious for many years!
When to arrive?
Please aim to arrive between 3.00pm – 3.30pm on SUNDAY 28th July. Can we please stress that it is important NOT to arrive earlier than this as rooms will not be available and leaders will not be able to supervise young people before this time.
- By Car, there are many parking spaces in the school grounds for those coming by car. Once at the venue our team will direct you to Registration and where to find your group.
- By Train. PLEASE NOTE, we are no longer able to offer a shuttle service from the station to the venue, due to the recent introduction of the Package Travel Regulations. If you are travelling by train you will need to organise your own taxi from Darlington station.
- By Bus. We understand that some churches in Glasgow and Edinburgh are hoping to hire a coach. If you are interested in joining the coach, please complete this contact form to find out more.
Upon arrival head for ‘Reception’ and you will be welcomed at our registration table. For those adults dropping off young people we invite you to stay for some refreshments. The young people are going straight in to our Welcome Meeting at 3.30pm along with Go conference. We plan to get straight in to the theme for the week, young people will find out their assigned SUS group and leaders and there’ll be some usual Contagious antics to get us excited for the week. From here all of us will become familiar with our new venue and get stuck in to our weeks programme.
The young people’s rooms are in a variety of single, two, three or four bed dorms (there is one 6 bed dorm) each with bathroom/shower facilities nearby. We will locate young people in their small group (SUS group) in rooms together; their leader will be in a room nearby. We will do our best to meet your sharing requests, but this is not always possible. All bedding is provided but please bring a towel.
There are several common room spaces for us to enjoy to meet friends, play games and hang out. Leaders will always be nearby to chat and facilitate the fun and games.
We are sharing the site with Contagious GO for young people aged 11-13 years, but otherwise we are the only groups using the site. Contagious GO will be accommodated in a separate Dormitory block, and have their own programme and leadership team. We are looking forward to joining together in some activities as part of the Contagious family.
The food is good at ‘Barney’, prepared by the professional catering staff who provide a wide variety of tasty meals to choose from and fresh fruit and salad is always available.
There will be breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as a light supper available. There is also a Tuck Shop in the sixth form area.
Photos and Publicity
We are hoping to take some general photos or video during the week that may be used for publicity, uploaded on our website or shared on social media sites. We hope to upload any photos on the public ‘Contagious’ Facebook group, so we encourage everyone to join our group. It is almost impossible to control the use of social media by young people at Contagious. If you have particular concerns about social media, photographs or publicity, please inform the Contagious Team on 01582 855898. Our full safeguarding policy is available to read here.
Medical, SEN, Dietary Information Form
When will Contagious Finish?
Contagious will finish with a packed lunch, at 1.00 pm on Saturday 3rd August 2019. If there is any chance that you might be delayed in arriving please advise someone from the team.
Packing List and other items you might need
- Spending Money: There is a small tuck shop on site and the CREW (‘TaskForce’) will run a small bookstall that will sell books, so you may like to bring some spending money, though this is not essential. Any money you bring will be your own responsibility to look after and manage.
- Suitable Clothes: We have a full programme of activities including sports, messy games, crafts, dancing, creative projects and team challenges. Please bring a range of clothes and footwear for outdoors, indoors, muddy and wet environments or casual clothes for the evenings. We are trusting that the weather will be good for us to be outside for most of the week, but please be prepared for changeable conditions. You are being asked to bring an ‘old’ white t-shirt that you don’t mind being stained.
- Day Out to Barnard Castle Town: We are planning to have an activity day out to Barnard Castle during Contagious. This will take place on Wednesday.
- Ceilidh. The end of week ceilidh party is ‘fancy dress’ and the theme this year is ‘Nations of the World’ (think flags, culture, national dress, famous landmarks of the world!!!)
- Bible (New International Version would be ideal) NOT electronic Bibles on phones etc.
- Notepad and pen
- Money for tuck/book shop/merchandise
- Supply of any medication needed plus any up to date information written down.
- Swimming gear and old clothes (for swimming pool and water games)
- White t-shirt you do not mind getting dirty/stained
- Toiletries, sun cream & hat
- Clothes suitable for all weathers!
- Exclusively indoor trainers and other outdoor footwear
- Any sports equipment, games or musical instrument (at your own risk)
- Mobile phone and charger (optional).
Please join the leaders in praying for our time at Contagious this summer:
- Thank God for the many young people coming to Contagious from different backgrounds and churches.
- Thank God for Contagious and the dedicated leaders who prepare the teaching, organise the activities, and give of their time to care and support the young people.
- Please pray for young people who may be feeling anxious about coming to Contagious; pray that they would quickly find their way around, meet great leaders and make new friends.
- Please pray for young people as they listen, learn and engage with the teaching this summer; that they would grow in their love of Jesus and mature in their walk with Him.
- Please pray for the leaders that they would teach the young people well and faithfully, according to the Bible. Give them creative ideas to engage the young people and a love for the young people that comes from Jesus.
- Please pray for safety and smooth running of the conference, free from evil attack and blessed by God.
- Please pray for the ongoing work of Contagious as they plan future conferences and look for new opportunities to serve young people in our nation.
- Please subscribe to our Contagious PrayerMate feed.
Dates for 2020
CONTAGIOUS MAX SCOTLAND/NORTH
Dates: Saturday 25th – Friday 31st July 2020
In the event of an emergency please contact Zach Watt on 07963701309.
If you have any questions about any of the Contagious ministries, please do not hesitate to contact us on the form below.